Thursday 15 September 2011

Sunflowers for September

I recently received a card from a client, with a beautiful watercolour of sunflowers on the front. It instantly made me feel happy, and I thought that I must include these delightful flowers on my blog. This is guaranteed to bring a smile to your face....a bouquet of sunflowers. Such simple flowers, so bright with their large yellow petals and chocolate brown centres, you have to love them.
I have seen them growing in France by the fieldful....not for cut flowers,but to be turned into sunflower oil. Les Tournesols they call them, as they turn their faces to the sun as it moves across the sky. Fabulous.


For a late summer or  autumn countrystyle wedding they would look fantastic. They are so large that you don't need too many of them. 7 will make a super hand-tied bouquet for a bride, with maybe somethng matching and smaller for the bridesmaids. For a very informal country look use raffia to tie, or maybe gingham ribbon.

Sunflowers, and indeed any daisies need to be paired with a wedding dress of equal simplicity, maybe something short or ballerina length and in simple broderie anglais or cotton.

No comments:

Post a Comment